Pronounced boh-lin not bow-line.
Use this knot to create a fixed loop in the end of a rope. If you thread the rope through the loop, you create a slip knot.
I use this on the ends of my antenna mast guy lines.
- Holding the rope in your left hand and the loose end in your right, twist the rope in your fingers to make a loop above, such that the loose end crosses above the standing end of the rope
- Thread the loose end under and then through the loop back toward you
- Thread the loose end under the standing end and then immediately back into the hole
- Pull to tighten
- Leave a tail, it makes the knot safer against slips
- The rabbit (the loose end) comes up the hole, runs around the tree (goes behind the standing end) and then goes back down the hole
- ⚠️CAUTION⚠️ There are many ways to get this knot wrong that are not immediately obvious but are substantially weaker